Since everyone had so much fun discussing the topic of the 5th Precept – I thought that I would line up some of the articles for easy reference (in somewhat lazy chronological order):
- Compassionate teaching of Zen with Beer – Sweep the Dust, Push the Dirt
- Suramerayamajja-pamadatthana-veramani – Marcus’s Journal
- Dharma Drinks – Sweep the Dust. Push the Dirt
- Booze and suramerayamajja pamadatthana – The Reformed Buddhist
- Discipline of Sobriety – Marcus’s Journal
- Comments of the 5th Precept – Dangerous Harvests
- To Brew or not to Brew – Home Brew Dharma
- One more thought on the 5th Precept – Home Brew Dharma
- To Drink or not to Drink – Barbara’s Buddhism Blog
- Proud Fundamentalist Buddhist Scholar – American Buddhist Perspective
- Comment on the 5th Precept – Angry Asian Buddhist
- Dharma Police – The Buddhist Blog
- You’re No Buddhist – Love of all Wisdom
I don’t really have anything more constructive to add on the subject. I thought that the opinions provided in the above posts varied from a literal and concrete interpretation of the precepts to a more adapted view to complete and utter drunkenness.
If I missed any interesting contributions; feel free to include in comments along with your favorite drink (with or without the alcohols).