(note: This is a gabage-can curry which means that you throw whatever you got in it. Mushrooms, meat, whatever…the following is just what worked for me.)
6 small potatoes
1 cup of cooked lentils
1 can of chickpeas
1 cup of chopped onions
7 tbsof vegetable oil
2 tbs finely diced ginger (or grated)
2 tsp of cumin
4 tsp of coriander
1 tsp of tumeric
2 tsp of chipotle-red pepper
1 tsp chipotle (or diced chipotle pepers if you can get them)
1 tsp of Garam Masala
1 cup crushed tomato
2/3 cup plain yogurt
2/3 cup heavy cream
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Heat 5 tbs of oil in a pan, fry potatoes until brown, take them out and set aside.
- Add rest of the oil to the pan, fry onions until brown, then add ginger and fry for one minute, add all the spices stir.
- Add tomatoes, yogurt, (salt if needed) and potatoes to the mix, add lentils and chickpeas (or whatever you got) in now.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pray to Jizo.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes, covered. Stir ocassionally.
- Add cream, heat evenly and remove from heat.
(This rocks over rice or with eggs in the morning.)