Introduction to Zen/Buddhism:
- Intro to Zazen from Mountains and Rivers Order of Zen Buddhism ~ An introductionto seated meditation from John Daido Loori. Honestly, you couldn’t get better instruction if you went back in time and landed in Buddha’s lap!
- On Practicing Alone or with a Group ~ Fa Zhang Shakya – Sometimes you feel like a sangha and sometimes you don’t but you should at least know how you can be limited or challenged in each environment.
- Dressing the Donkey with Bells and Scarves ~ A essay highlighting many recent controversies in American Zen Centers ~ Stuart Lachs (also on podcast from BuddhistGeeks). Please read and listen. Don’t go into practice thinking it is going to be any different from any other organization. It isn’t going to be all puppies and sunflowers and miniskirts. It may be full of drama and worse. Just be informed.
- Making the Invisible Visible ~ Stories from people of color on the racism inherit in many Buddhist Centers ~ Larry Yang (ed.)
- The Zen Buddhist Order of Hsu Yun ~ Dharma Essays
- Basic Buddhism ~ I like this site. Simple and to the point. Slightly Westernized.
- Mukyõhõ – The Boundless Way ~ “Mukyõhõ is a distinctly modern interpretation of the Buddha’s teachings. Practitioners enjoy a modern and pragmatic approach to practising Buddhism while retaining a strong connection to centuries-old Japanese Mahayana Buddhism, yet free of the superstitions that have built up around it’s practice in Japan.” – Badass and I like it.
- Overview of Buddhism ~ This is a fantastic overview of the history and evolution of Buddhism from the times of the actual teachings. Very accessable for beginners and it really cleared up some grey areas for me (now they are only slightly less grey).
Readings & Sutras: Some free and accessable material to further practice.
- Diamond Sutra
- Hekiganroku – Blue Cliff Record
- The Avatamsaka (Flower Ornament) Sutra
- Surangama Sutra
- Lankavatara Sutra
- Mahaparinirvana Sutra
- Sutra on the Eight Realizations of Great Beings
- Mumonkan – The Gateless Gate
- Sutra of Perfect Enlightenment
- Tanni Sho
- Shinran’s Works
- The Dhammapada
- A whole monkey-load of sutras
Zen and Dharma Podcasts
- Audio Dharma – The only Dharma master known to have a 20 year long brain-fart that smells of roses and wisdom, Gil Fronsdal is amazing. The shear amount of material here will leave you with years worth of Dharma talks and classes to keep you busy. You probably don’t need to go anywhere else…
- Zen Cast – More Gil Fronsdal Dharma brain-farts! Beautiful! Like smoke-free incense!
- San Fransisco Zen Center
- Rochester Zen Center Dharma Talks – This one is especially moving by Kapleau Roshi
- Great Vow Zen Center Dharma talks
- Mountains and Rivers Order of Zen Buddhism ~ John Daido Loori Roshi talks – A gen-u-ine Dharma master of the West! Loori’s talks and books really can’t be beat or compared. Beautiful and cutting. Elegant and blunt.
- Upaya Zen Center Dharma Talks
- Dharma Seed Dharma Talks
- Against the Stream Dharma Talks
- BuddhaNet Audio Dharma Talks
- Clouds in Water Zendo Dharma Talks
- Dhamma Talks (Forest Sangha)
- Buddhist Geeks
- Plum Village Dharma Talks (Thich Nhat Hahn)
- Western Ch’an Fellowship Dharma Talks – Coming Soon
- Free Buddhist Audio
- Bhavana Society of West Virginia Dhamma Talks
- The Budhist Society of Western Australia Dhamma Talks
B uddhist Radio/Chants
Wait?! Not Zen? Broaden Your Practice!
- Shingon Buddhism_Kiyota_Chap1_2.pdf
- Shingon Buddhism_Kiyota_Chap3_4.pdf
- Shingon Buddhism_Kiyota_Epilogue.pdf
- Buddhist Yoga_Cleary.pdf
- The Eastern Buddhist Journal
- Mahamundra Teachings ~ H.E. Garchen Rinpoche
- Lam Rim ~ Lama Yashe Wisdom Archives
- Lam Rim ~ Bezin Archives
- “The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment” [Lam Rim]
- Muryoko Journal of Shin Buddhism
- Shin Dharma Net
- Shin Buddhism
- The Buddhist Churches of America
- Jodo Shinshu Hongwanji Official Site